Tuesday 5 September 2017

Sydney

Our anniversary weekend was wonderful. We spent two days exploring and rediscovering this beautiful city. Our hotel was right in Darling Harbour and because we used our loyalty points it only cost us $58 for the two nights. The room was small but the view was spectacular.


The view from our room

On Saturday afternoon we walked around Darling Harbour. Then we indulged in a spot of people watching while enjoying a cool drink. It is such a busy vibrant place.

 Darling Harbour just before sunset

After a nice breakfast at our hotel we walked over Pyrmont Bridge to the Queen Victoria Building. I love this old building with it's beautiful mosaic floors and towering domes.

Pyrmont Bridge


The Queen Victoria Building decorated for spring

There is no trip to Sydney without a ride on the Manly ferry. It was a gorgeous sunny day and there were yachts all over the harbour. The Opera House sails were glittering in the sunshine.




At Manly PH and I enjoyed a walk and an ice cream before getting back on the ferry. There were so many people out and about for Fathers Day. It was lovely to see all the families enjoying themselves.

These two where having bath in the fountain at Martin Place


After such a big day we had a light dinner at our hotel and an early night. Poor PH is still complaining about his calve muscles hurting. He is not used to walking so far. Out to the shed is his preferred distance.

I am so thankful there are no Haigh Chocolate shops in Brisbane. I just can't resist them.

My favourites 

It was a long trip home and I was a bit nervous of the last section between Warwick and Stanthorpe which I call the road of bones because of all the kangaroos. I think next time we will stay with one of our children on the Gold Coast. It will save us the parking fees and we'd get to spend some time with them.

I hope you enjoyed seeing a little of Sydney. We love to travel and now we love coming home to our little acreage. I'll be off again tomorrow. It's my grandson's 18th this weekend so I'm couch surfing for five nights. Two with my cousin Lyn down near Murwillumbah and three staying at my daughters. PH will join me on Saturday for the big BBQ lunch. I love spending time with my family and friends, I miss them all so much. I'm lucky it's not too far to drive. It must be hard for families separated by states or countries.



6 comments:

  1. My husband and I stayed at Darling Harbour before our kids were born and they're both teenagers now. Very long time ago however I still have such fond memories of the wonderful atmosphere.
    Such a wonderful way to spend your Anniversary.
    Happy 18th Birthday to your grandson and I hope he has a wonderful day.
    Kylie

    ReplyDelete
  2. happy birthday to your grandson!
    i grew up around Sydney, how it's changed now
    glad you had a lovely time of it
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Haigh's chocolate too!! It is just the best isn't it? My husband is from Adelaide and we always come back with quite a few bags when we visit! I'm sort of glad it isn't in Brisbane too! Lovely pictures of your weekend in Sydney, I especially love the photo of the seagulls. Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your anniversary weekend looks wonderful. We live in the suburbs of Sydney but still regularly go into the city for a weekend - it looks like you may have stayed in the same hotel as we do - such good value, and a harbour view as well! we also take the grandkids in on Sundays using the "Sunday Funday" fares - $2.50 each for as many modes of transport as you like - trains, ferries, buses, light rail.. such a wonderful way to enjoy the city. Kim from Sydney

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's been a long time since I was in Sydney so it was nice to be reminded of the harbour and how beautiful it is. You are lucky to be able to see your family relatively easily. I live a long way from my family and I miss them a lot. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy anniversary to you both. Happy 18th to your grandson, have a lovely time with your family

    ReplyDelete