Wednesday 13 September 2017

Home and Away

On the home front, I've finally taken my first steps to meeting people in my new community. Moving away from friends has been a big social change. On the Gold Coast I'd go to Tai Chi and have coffee with my friends afterwards. Since moving I haven't done any formal exercise and I can really feel myself tightening up. Last Wednesday I finally joined an over 50s class. It was rather daunting to front up to the first class not knowing who or what to expect. Of course I needn't have worried the other participants were very friendly and the instructor tailored the movements to each persons abilities. Yesterday I enjoyed my class and met another couple new to the area. Now I will look forward to more group activities. Not having children at school means you have to put more effort into meeting people in a new area. Joining a garden club might be nice for PH and I. Next year I plan to be a volunteer and help with different community projects.


 Full moon last week

Last Thursday I drove down to Murwillumbah and stayed with my cousin on her little farm. It was so good to spend some time together. We visited the Swell sculpture festival at Currumbin on Friday. The local cafe gives away its food scraps to people with chickens so we collected one for her girls. What a great idea.
My cousin Lyn with one of her roosters

Wish my orange tree looked liked this one

Lyn has around 20 chickens and 3 turkeys 

On Saturday I went to my daughter's and helped her get ready for the big 18th. PH joined us for  the party. I really only did some running around my daughter is a great cook and her wonderful husband stoked up the BBQ. We had a great time celebrating this big milestone. How could 18 years go by so quickly. I am so proud, he has grown up to be such a beautiful person.

Proud Grandma


It was so nice to drive through the home gate on Tuesday. I couldn't wait to see what was happening in the garden. So much new growth. There are leaves on the peach and apple trees and the grapes are budding. It is so exciting. This is the first spring I've really experienced. It feels like Christmas morning every day.


1 comment:

  1. It is daunting turning up to a class when you don't know anyone. Majority of the time the experience is great just like yours. I'm sure you'll meet a lot of people volunteering.
    Love that photo of you with your grandson.
    Kylie

    ReplyDelete