Tuesday 29 August 2017

Water

One of the main challenges of moving to the country is the lack of water. It's no longer turn on the tap and out it comes. We have to think of how much is left in the house tanks and dam.

When we arrived in February our two house tanks were full but the dam was very low. The dam is used for the orchid and gardens. Unfortunately because of an extreme hot spell we lost most of our fruit. It just fell off the trees with the leaves. At the end of March we got a little of the aftermath of cyclone Debbie which refilled the dam and topped up the tanks.




Since then not much rain has fallen and the dam is now looking very low.  If it gets much lower we won't be able to pump. I'd hate to loose our fruit again this year.

Just teasing us




To help conserve the water in our house tanks we take much shorter showers. I also put a bucket in the shower and use that water on my pot plants.

I'm so glad we put in the raised waterwise garden beds. All the veggies are looking happy and healthy.


Peas and Snow Peas


Spinach

Hopefully we will get some rain in September. I'd love to know how you manage your water in dry times.

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog.

1 comment:

  1. Water is always an issue Wendy. Spring is our dry season. We had our one of our water tanks filled last week. The water level in our dam is dropping. I think the past summer was the dryest I had experienced many years. Like you we had to wait for the rains from cyclone Debbie, I was feeling very down at the time due to the lack of rain and the concern about my plants dying from lack of water. However once the rain came I became very excited about my garden again and was soon run off my feet trying to keep up with the weeding.

    ReplyDelete